My first ever cake. 🙂 So please be gentle with me!
This heart shaped Victoria sponge cake was made for Valentine’s Day 2008 for my boyfriend Mark.
You will need
- 110g butter or margarine
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- Strawberry jam
- Red icing
- White icing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Use a hand mixer to cream the butter and the sugar together until pale
- Beat in the eggs.
- Sift over the flour and fold in using a large metal spoon. The mixture should drop off the spoon.
- Lightly grease both cake tins and divide the mixture between them. Gently spread out with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25mins or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for 5 mins before turning on to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, sandwich both halves together using the strawberry jam. You could also use lemon curd, whipped cream etc.
- Decorate with the icing and sprinkles.