I went to my friend Ali’s house and we made rainbow cupcakes!
She’d never made them before and was really impressed. (I know other people have done this before but I love them!)
Here is the way we used to make them, this will make 12 cupcakes:
- 125g butter
- 125g Self raising flour
- 125 Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla flavouring
- 4 food colourings (red, yellow, green and blue)
- 12 cupcake cases
- Preheat the over to 200 degrees C or Gas mark 6
- Round up your ingredients—beat the sugar and butter together until fluffy and light coloured.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time adding the flour a little at a time until it’s all been added.
- Add the vanilla flavouring and mix it
- Divide the mixture between six bowls:
- Bowl 1: Add about a cap of red food colouring and mix
- Bowl 2: Add half a cap of red and half a cap of yellow, mix
- Bowl 3:Add a cap of yellow and mix
- Bowl 4: Add a cap of green and mix
- Bowl 5: Add a cap of blue and mix
- Bowl: 6 Add half a cap of blue and half a cap of red, mix
The measurements of food colouring above are just a guideline, add more/less depending on how strong you want the colours to be.
- Divide the purple bowl (number 6) between the 12 cases, smooth to form the bottom layer
- Repeat for the rest of the colours in this order:
- Blue (number 5)
- Green (number 4)
- Yellow (number 3)
- Orange (number 2)
- Red (number 1)
- Put in the over for 15—20 mins
- Use a skewer to find out if it’s ready, if it comes out gunky—put it back in the oven! If clean, then put on a cooling rack.
- When cool you may decorate and eat them. 😉
Here is a few pictures of how ours turned out: