This snooker table cake was made for my friend’s 22nd birthday and is my first attempt at a novelty cake! 🙂
I think it turned out pretty good for a first try. The balls and cues were made from marzipan and the icing was chocolate, unfortunately, the cake cracked during transit. 🙁
I used a Victoria sponge recipe for the cake itself.
You will need
- 110g butter or margarine
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- Strawberry jam
- Chocolate icing
- White rolling icing (to cover the cake)
- Food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Use a hand mixer to cream the butter and the sugar together until pale
- Beat in the eggs.
- Sift over the flour and fold in using a large metal spoon. The mixture should drop off the spoon.
- Lightly grease both cake tins and divide the mixture between them. Gently spread out with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25mins or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for 5 mins before turning on to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, sandwich both halves together using the strawberry jam. You could also use lemon curd, whipped cream etc.
- Roll out the icing and lay over the cake, affixed with jam.
- Decorate with the chocolate icing and use the marzipan for the decorations (you will need to use the food colouring for the balls).