Ryan and I both have the next week off work and are planning a staycation (a vacation where we stay close to home or only travel within the UK). This is mostly because we have a big convention coming up on the 19th March and need to save for that, also Ryan doesn’t have a passport!
Here are a few things we’ve been thinking about doing next week.
Stay at home
Get away from the world by keeping our use of electronic devices, especially mobile phones to a minimum and spend time with each other.
- Have a home spa day – bubble baths, massages etc
- Plant a new house plant or a windowsill herb garden (we don’t have a garden but if you do, get outside and plant something).
- Dust off the board games and decks of cards. We have so many board games but never usually have time to play them. Monopoly, Cludeo, Mouse Trap, Uno etc.
The Penguin style Ludo board game
- Have a cocktail party or a pizza party – Socialise!
- Camping in the garden. I’ve said before that we don’t have a garden ourselves but I really like this idea and have done it before with friends and also at my parents house as a child.
- Helpful tip: Keep chores to a minimum. Do enough to keep the household afloat, of course, but steer clear of heavy cleaning or organising (unless you find that kind of thing relaxing, I actually like sorting a wah load and putting it in the machine! Lol.).
Living in the Cotswolds, there are so many museums, parks, wildlife parks and nature walks around and we plan to visit some of those. We’re also a pretty short drive from a couple of citities: Gloucester, Oxford, Bristol and Bath.
- Birdland, Bourton-on-the-Water
- Cotswold Wildlife Park, Burford
- Crocodile World, Burford
- The Corinium Museum, Cirencester
- Water slides at the Oasis Leisure Centre
- Visit The Forest of Dean. There’s many attractions there and also walks we could do… I fancy Go Ape myself. 🙂
The Very Hungry Caterpillar woodland trail – Forest of Dean.
- Eat at a local café or restaurant.
- Bike to a park and have a picnic – Cirencester has three parks we could visit and there’s also The Cotswold Water park and lakes nearby too.
- Take in some local theatre – There’s a few feature options available to us (Cirencester’s Sundial Theatre and a few in Cheltenham, e.g. The Everymann Theatre.
- Go bowling or catch the latest blockbuster at the cinema. We’ve both been wanting to see Alleigant.
- Tour a local brewery – there’s two I can think of near us. One is actually near where I work so within cycling distance and the other is a 15 minute drive away.
- Play outside – Fly a kite, go for a walk or hike, go for a bike ride, have a picnic. Ryan likes football so we could even go for a kick about in the park!
- Visit family and friends. We’re going out for food and drinks with a couple of friends who are also coming to the convention with us on the 19th March and have made plans to visit both our parents.
While there are so many things to do locally we also want to see more of the UK, but this requires extra planning and money… We’ve decided to visit West Midland Safari Park and also a city near us, probably Oxford or Bristol but have also thought about crossing the Seven Bridge into Wales and visiting Cardiff, which is one of my favourite cities. It is the home of Doctor Who after all. 😉
Any other ideas? Have you ever had a staycation?