I like shopping; food shopping, Christmas (or other) present shopping, going in book stores, charity shops, HMV (film / music store in the UK) but clothes shopping? Not for me. I find trying on clothes tedious and often end up not purchasing anything (it doesn’t fit or it doesn’t look right on me etc) – great way to save money, I suppose. 😉
The issue is after my wardrobe clear out there are clothes I really need to replace and a few gaps in my wardrobe.
I wrote a list last year of clothes I felt I needed to fill in the gaps. I made a start on the list (mentioned in my ‘clothes shopping on a budget’ post) but after another cull of clothes, when I moved into my current place, there are more gaps than before! Oops.
I thought I’d take a look at the original list and reassess if it’s still applicable to my current lifestyle and needs.
- What kind of activities do I need to dress for?
- Work: 5 days a week – smart casual
- Gym: 2 / 3 nights a week – workout clothes
- Weekends: Socialising, running errands, home time – casual
- Special occasions / evenings out / date nights out: less frequent – usually smart casual or cocktail
- 2 pairs of jeans in a dark wash – I have one pair but the zip is faulty, 🙁 I would like one pair of boot cut and one skinny fit.
- 1 pair of black skinny jeans – already own
- 2-3 coloured jeans or chinos – I own a pastel purple pair of jeans and would like a maroon or plum colour and/or olive.
- 2-3 pairs of neutral coloured trousers for work – black, grey and a lighter colour (beige?) for Summer
- 1 black skirt – pencil or a-line
- 2-3 coloured or patterned skirts – I have a blue patterned skirt and would like another or a solid coloured skirt
- 2 neutral coloured dresses – I have an “LBD” but it’s not really appropriate for work and the sheath dress I have is now too big. 🙁
- 2-3 patterned dresses – I have two already that I love but would like one more in a pastel colour.
- 2 long sleeved tops for layering – I have a black one and would like a white or cream one for my under my lighter coloured clothes.
- 2 neutral coloured tops – black (already own) and grey or white (I prefer v-necks)
- 2-4 coloured or patterned tshirts or blouses – blue, purple, etc. Should be suitable for work and casual wear
- 1 striped top – decided whether to have short, long or 3/4 length sleeves
- 2-3 button up shirts – 1 white, 1 black, 1 patterned or solid colour
- 1-3 solid or neutral coloured jumpers
- 1-2 patterned jumpers – already own
- 3-5 coloured cardigans
- 1 neutral coloured blazer
- 3 outerwear – already own (leather jacket, raincoat, winter coat)
From this list, I know that the majority of my clothes should be made up of pieces I can wear to work and casual pieces.
At the moment I’d say my wardrobe is mainly casual with more going out / special occasion wear than I probably need.
With that in mind, I went over the original list and revised it to suit my current lifestyle and the styles I like (based on my Pinterest clothing board).
Here’s my new starter list:
Of course this list doesn’t include workout wear, shoes, socks and hosiery or underwear, but, it’s a good starting point for me. 🙂 Now… To shop… and hope things fit well. 😉