How to Make your own dream catcher
Sorry for the lack of pictures – I forgot to take any. 🙁
To make your own dream catcher you will need:
- 2 colours of medium or heavy metallic-braid embroidery floss
- 30 cm (12 in.) metal hoop
- pony beads
- a shaped bead (heart, dog, flower, etc)
- colourful feathers
- ruler, scissors, glue
- Tightly tie one end of one colour of floss to the hoop, leaving a 20 cm (8 inch) tail.
- Wrap the floss all the way around the hoop, leaving 1 cm (1/2 inch) spaces. Tie the floss tightly to the first knot.
- Knot one end of the other colour floss to the hoop opposite to where you knotted the first colour. Make a loose loop five spaces away. Continue wrapping around the hoop, making a loop every 5 spaces.
- Continue looping to make 3 progressively smaller rows of loops. String on one of 2 pony beads per row as you go.
- When there is a small hole in the centre, weave the end of your floss through the last round of loops and pull to tighten.
- To the thread tail, tie a shaped bead symbolic of something that makes you feel safe.
- Cut and tie on the 2 threads about half the length of the bead tail. Tie on a pony bead to each one and glue a feather hanging down from the beads.
- Loop 2 lengths of thread about 15 cm (6 inch) long around the hoop at the top. Thread a pony bead over the ends. Tie a knot about the pony bead and one 4 cm (1 1/2 inch) from the end. Spread the threads.
Dream Catcher Symbolism:
- Web – a filter for all dreams (bad dreams are caught and can’t pass through)
- Hole – a doorway for the good dreams to pass through
- Feathers at the bottom – a way for the good dreams to travel to the dreamer
- Beads- the dream catcher’s power will increase through these personal symbols